[lfs-dev] 7.5. General Network Configuration

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.net
Thu Oct 23 19:58:21 PDT 2014

Richard Melville wrote:
> On 22 October 2014 21:38, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Alexey Orishko wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> I was unable to find any scripts to configure IPv6 protocol. Currently
>>> /lib/services/ directory contains scripts for dhcp and ipv4-static*.
>>>
>>> I found some old thread, where Bruce stated "..I think that we should
>>> hold off for now (after LFS-7.0)"
>>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.lfs.devel/11093/match=ipv6
>>>
>>> We already have LFS-7.6 released.... Is there any plans or ongoing
>>> work to extend existing set to support IPv6?
>>>
>> I have no plans to add IPv6 as I don't have a way to test it. If someone
>> who does use it can create and submit a script, I can add it.
>

> I seem to recall using the same scripts, but I used a sed command to
> replace instances of ipv4 with ipv6; that was certainly the case with
> iptables and ip6tables  I won't be able to check my systems until tomorrow
> -- maybe somebody else can help in the meantime.

Some of it is going to involve how your ipv6 network is set up I think.  Do
you want to set up a tunnel broker tunnel?  Or a 6to4 address (assuming a
static public ipv4)?  Or real ipv6 because your ISP is ahead of its time?
(...well, compared to just about anything in the US anyway)

On the other hand, the configuration of the address and routing tables is
pretty similar for all of these; just a case of picking the right device names
based on the tunnel setup, and setting up the tunnels.  Maybe we skip that in
the book for simplicity?