[lfs-dev] grub-2.02~beta2

Richard Melville richard.melville69 at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 24 07:39:48 PDT 2014

> > Your Hint, Your License - I guess you do not want people to
> > modify what you have written ?
>
> I have problems with licenses and copy rights.  That’s why I like open
> source so much.  It is a requirement of the format of the hint to reference
> a license, and although I did not read this one in its entirety, I
> understand that anyone can do anything to the hint as long as they
> acknowledge me as the original author.  I don’t even care about that.  It
> just seemed like the minimum to satisfy a requirement I do not support.
>
> After all, if copyrights and licenses would have been the “law of the
> land” throughout the history of civilization, we would not have the
> printing press, the Bible, the works of Plato, Thomas Aquinas, Bach, Mozart
> or Beethoven.  I don’t rank with those fellows.

All the copyleft licences (like the one you've chosen) are there to exactly
support your sentiments, and to stop the software and documentation being
made proprietary and locked down. OS X is a classic example where a
permissive licence (BSD licence) has been exploited by Apple, thus creating
a proprietary OS X from FreeBSD (in the main).

Richard