[lfs-dev] libcap vs libcap-ng

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 13:23:17 PDT 2014

I notice that util-linux searches for libcap-ng (last release 0.7.4, 30
April 2014) in order to build setpriv.

I've never used setpriv:

"Sets or queries various Linux privilege settings that are inherited
across execve(2)."

I don't know how useful that is, but we should probably build it if we can.

Does anyone know if libcap-ng is a drop-in replacement for libcap?

------

In a related matter, util-linux's configure does the right thing with

./configure ADJTIME_PATH=/var/lib/hwclock/adjtime \
             --docdir=/usr/share/doc/util-linux-2.25.2

but it gives some warnings.  I can avoid the warnings with:

/configure \
   --without-systemd \
   --without-systemdsystemunitdir \
   --without-python \