[lfs-dev] LFS Kmod issue

Олег Титов titovsmail at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 16:36:36 PST 2015

Dear LFS developers!

Recently I've built my LFS/BLFS system in VMware Player environment up
to running KDE desktop. And I got a problem when I decided to instal
VMware tools to have convenient integration with host system: some
modules of VMware tools failed to start.

After some time spent on reading the internet, turning on logging,
reading tools bootscript file, I finally found the problem: the
bootscript was checking if a kernel module is loaded with /sbin/lsmod
which was not installed. Latest LFS book recommends creating all Kmod
Module-Init-Tools compatibility symlinks in /sbin , exept /bin/lsmod
(I guess so regular users can check for loaded kernel modules without
/sbin in their $PATH). May be one more symlink should be added to
avoid such problems as was mine?

Regards,
Oleg