[lfs-dev] Latest Linux Kernel 3.16.x?

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 10:40:23 PST 2015

mylfsdevlistaccount at hushmail.com wrote:
> I'm starting with LFS, and read in the book that "the latest available
> 3.16.x kernel version should be used."
>
> I found version 3.16.3 at:
>
> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/commit/?id=d0335e4feea0d3f7a8af3116c5dc166239da7521
>
> which is dated "2014-10-30."
>
> So this seems to be the latest one, after the latest stable release of
> the LFS 7.6 book, which seems to be "2014/09/23" (according to
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/news.html
>
> Now for the questions:
>
> 1. Can anyone confirm this is the kernel which should be used now?
> 2. How-ever do I download it?

If you look at section 3.2, it has the url:

https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v3.x/linux-3.16.2.tar.xz

Just remove the package part and point your browser to
https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v3.x

It's a long list, but you can see that the latest 3.16 release is
linux-3.16.7.tar.xz.

Depending on what you want, you may want to just use 3.18.5 (latest
stable) or 3.14.31 (longterm).  See https://www.kernel.org for the
latest releases and https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html for
definitions.

   -- Bruce