[lfs-dev] Test failures in something close to current LFS

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 15:27:11 PST 2015

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 12:23:56AM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
>>
>> gcc: 125 unexpected failures in g++, 658 in gcc, 22 in libstdc++
>> instead of the usual handful of failures.  The last time I saw those
>> sorts of numbers was a little while before my AmigaOne expired.
>>
>   I wonder if some of it was because my tmpfs for /tmp was too small.
> I thought I was using 6GB, but I was on my 7.6 system when I set
> that up, the November system I used to build the new one was still
> using only 2GB for /tmp.
>
>   I've now rebuilt gcc on the completed system, again using only 2GB
> for the tmpfs.  This time, the results were a little better - only
> 83 unexpected failures in gcc, and 42 in g++, none in libstdc++.
> In both cases, I used -j4.

I did a jhalfs build yesterday and got 2 unexpected successes and no
unexpected failures for gcc-4.9.2.

I used -j10 and it completed in Totalseconds: 1252 (about 21 minutes).

>   So, for the moment I'm just going to flag this up as "looks
> serious, unexplained, but so far I do not see any problems in the
> resulting system."

I'll just state the obvious.  Did you run out of ram?  Is it in chroot?
  Are all the virtual filesystems available?

I can send you my logs if you want.

>   And for what it is worth, 6GB is not enough to build firefox in
> /tmp - I had to drop down to 4GB to get enough space for the link,
> as well as building on a disk (the build in 6GB was using over 5GB
> plus whatever the link wanted).

Hmm.  My last build had:

du -sh firefox
4.6G    firefox

That was version 32.0.1 on one system.

2095.7 Elapsed Time -  firefox-32.0.1.source
SBU=17.464
146524 /usr/src/firefox/firefox-32.0.1.source.tar.bz2 size (143.089 MB)
4823172 kilobytes build size (4710.128 MB)

Do you need me to do the latest for comparison?

   -- Bruce