[lfs-dev] Build speeds

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sat Jan 31 08:16:36 PST 2015

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 11:57:12PM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:

 (changing the subject, it has moved away from test errors)

>   Anyway, that build in a tmpfs was only an attempt to speed up my
> builds without replacing the machine.  I'll try a small SSD (I only
> have 3GB/s SATA-2 on this mobo) just for the builds and for qemu
> backing images once I've got a bit further.

 Well, that was a surprise - the SSD is indeed faster (tested
building a kernel), but by less than 2% on this machine.  So in
practice no noticeable difference.  And the differences between the
various i/o schedulers on the SSD are lost in the noise.

 Using hdparm, buffered reads were all-but identical between the
spinning disk and the SSD so I really doubt there is any way to
significantly speed up this box.

ĸen