[lfs-dev] Xen DomU support

JMW MVM alternator999 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 20:21:58 PST 2015

Hello list,
. After spending two days compiling LFS in a xen DomU, I ended up
spending another 2 days trying to figure out why I couldn't get a
login prompt after booting. It turned out to be something very simple,
namely that LFS is only configured for tty's, whereas xen requires (at
least in 4.3 and up, and probably all 4.1 and up) output to go to the
hvc0 device. To get this to work, I ended up borrowing a line from my
gentoo /etc/inittab:

c0:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 hvc0 linux

 Having a line like this in the LFS inittab, even if commented out by
default, could save a lot of time for people trying to install LFS on
a DomU. Other than kernel compilation, which is covered here:
http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Mainline_Linux_Kernel_Configs, I don't
really see anything else that would be standing in the way of LFS'ers
getting up and running on xen DomU's. So if LFS could phase in initial
support for xen, even if only in the form of a commented line in the
inittab, I'm sure xen users would find that extremely helpful.

Thanks,
            JMW