[lfs-dev] Xen DomU support

JMW MVM alternator999 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 14:17:07 PST 2015

>> hvc0 device. To get this to work, I ended up borrowing a line from my
>> gentoo /etc/inittab:
>>
>> c0:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 hvc0 linux
>>
>>   Having a line like this in the LFS inittab, even if commented out by
>> default, could save a lot of time for people trying to install LFS on
>> a DomU. Other than kernel compilation, which is covered here:
>> http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Mainline_Linux_Kernel_Configs, I don't
>> really see anything else that would be standing in the way of LFS'ers
>> getting up and running on xen DomU's. So if LFS could phase in initial
>> support for xen, even if only in the form of a commented line in the
>> inittab, I'm sure xen users would find that extremely helpful.

>We could consider this.  However, it appears that the line above is
>non-standard.  The man page for agetty says it should be:

>agetty  port baud_rate,...  [term]

>Are you sure you have it right?

That's interesting. The man page for agetty on my Gentoo machine gives
this invocation:

agetty [options] port [baud_rate...]  [term]

But then under examples it shows examples for the process field of an
inittab file that are exactly the opposite, i.e:

/sbin/agetty 9600 ttyS1

I tested by changing the line in my inittab file, like this:

c0:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty hvc0 38400 linux

And it worked. So I think they are both correct.

JMW