[lfs-dev] static libs

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Mar 8 18:55:59 PDT 2015

On Sat, Mar 07, 2015 at 11:21:03PM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
> I've just started a 32-bit qemu build.  For most of the packages
> where I noticed static libs, I'm adding --disable-static.  Not for
> flex or zlib.  For ncurses I'm adding --disable-normal : I suspect
> it one or two static ncurses libs might still remain).  And I will
> be installing all locales and running the tests, then looking at the
> logs and throwing it away ready for the second attempt.

Here are my preliminary findings (32-bit, in qemu):

1. acl continues to give me /usr/lib/libacl.a, even with
--disable-static.

2. I have been manually removing (not just renaming)
/usr/lib/libbz2.a in my script in normal builds for some time (I
have a vague memory that I once botched the move of the .so to
.usr/lib (version upgrade, still had old lib version hardcoded) and
something tried to link to the static lib (but failed - something on
x86_64 trying to link a shared library).

3. I have been manually removing 4 static libs from e2fsprogs:
libcom_err.a, libe2p.a, libext2fs.a, libss.a in my normal builds.

4. libtool with --disable-static still installs /usr/lib/libltdl.a.

5. ncurses with --disable-normal still installs
/usr/lib/libncurses++w.a

6. libfl.a from flex is used by automake's tests, libfl_pic.a is
also installed.

7. libz.a from zlib is used by binutils tests.

I have not bothered to mention static libs from binutils, gcc, glibc.

The test results apart from eudev look unchanged, except that my
failures in acl and inetutils on real hardware must indeed be due to
something omitted from my kernel config.

This is with --disable-static in: acl, eudev, expat, gdbm, gettext,
gmp, intltool, mpc, mpfr, procps-ng and --enable-shared
--disable-static in util-linux.

I suppose that my next step will be to look (again) at acl, and to
look at bzip2, e2fsprogs, libtool, ncurses and perhaps flex.  Might
be some days before I am willing to stare at the acl files.

ĸen