[lfs-dev] More on static libs

Fernando de Oliveira famobr at yahoo.com.br
Wed Mar 11 18:48:13 PDT 2015


On 11-03-2015 22:13, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> I've been working with static libraries today.
> 
> I was able to remove most of them and got through a complete LFS build. 
> What was left was:
> 
> bzip2:/usr/lib/libbz2.a
> gcc:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.9.2/libgcc.a
> gcc:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.9.2/libgcc_eh.a
> gcc:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.9.2/libgcov.a
> glibc:/usr/lib/libc.a
> glibc:/usr/lib/libc_nonshared.a
> glibc:/usr/lib/libcrypt.a
> glibc:/usr/lib/libdl.a
> glibc:/usr/lib/libg.a
> glibc:/usr/lib/libieee.a
> glibc:/usr/lib/libm.a
> glibc:/usr/lib/libmcheck.a
> glibc:/usr/lib/libpthread.a
> glibc:/usr/lib/libpthread_nonshared.a
> glibc:/usr/lib/librpcsvc.a
> 
> However, some additional tests failed.  The *new* failures are:
> 
> 078-binutils-2.25:FAIL: static preinit array
> 078-binutils-2.25:FAIL: static init array
> 078-binutils-2.25:FAIL: static fini array
> 078-binutils-2.25:FAIL: static init array mixed
> 078-binutils-2.25:FAIL: Could not link a static executable
> 078-binutils-2.25:FAIL: Run mpx1 with -static
> 078-binutils-2.25:FAIL: Run mpx2 with -static
> 
> 103-libtool-2.4.6: 70: Runpath in libtool library files    FAILED
> 103-libtool-2.4.6:117: enforced lib prefix                 FAILED
> 103-libtool-2.4.6:170: Run tests with low max_cmd_len      FAILED
> 
> 110-automake-1.15:FAIL: t/lex-clean-cxx.sh
> 110-automake-1.15:FAIL: t/lex-depend-cxx.sh
> 
> I'm having second thoughts about removing the static libraries.  There
> are really not that many in LFS and some in glibc appear to really be
> needed.  I'm not sure if the gcc libraries above are needed or not.
> 
> OTOH, Ubuntu 14.04.2 has none of the above libraries in a standard install.
> 
> Is removing static libaries really worthwhile?  I'm leaning to no.  It
> takes away options from the user that would be hard to replace without
> rebuilding the entire system.

Please, I'm having good results. But as I told before, I started
removing *.a from gmp, not before. Nno problem with binutils and libtool
tests. I did remove the two failing tests of automake. I have removed
bzip2:/usr/lib/libbz2.a.

I've installed gperf today. Again, the way I did, only the two automake
tests seem to be new failures, so, if they are essential, we can leave
flex with .a.

I may finish tomorrow or Friday. Binutils, gcc and glibc, I didn't
remove. All three or at least one I noticed there were no shared
matching some static.


-- 
[]s,
Fernando


More information about the lfs-dev mailing list