[lfs-dev] More on static libs

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Mar 12 14:41:53 PDT 2015

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 04:19:36PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> I've thought a little more about this.  What do you think about adding this to
> 6.73. Cleaning Up:
>
> mkdir -p /usr/lib/static
> mv -v /usr/lib/*.a /usr/lib/static
> mv -v /usr/lib/static/lib{a,b,c,etc}.a /usr/lib
>
> In other words, put all the static libs in a location not normally searched
> and then move back only those really needed.

First, it does not prevent builders on i686 from accidentally
linking in a static lib if they make a mistake - by 6.73 everything
in LFS chapter 6 has been built.

Second, I assume by "only those really needed" you mean primarily
static glibc libs, i.e. those everyone assumes are used by configure
scripts.  If I was doing that I would be tempted to move _nothing_
back.

ĸen