[lfs-dev] More on static libs

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Mar 12 16:02:11 PDT 2015

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 05:32:21PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> There are lots of ways to make mistakes, but I can't really see how someone
> can link a static library into one of the LFS packages without really going
> far from the book and changing a Makefile or similar.  I suppose removing a
> .so file may revert back to the complementary .a file.

Long while since I've managed it (on x86_64, which is where all my
development used to happen, most static libs lack -fPIC so they will
not link into a shared lib).  But on i686: in one case (bzip2) I
missed the solib version change when I was making the symlink, which
effectively matches your suggestion.  Before that, I had screwed up
a symlink with one of the files we moved into /lib - that is the more
general sort of error, and I'm fairly sure that I later saw someone
reporting what turned out to be the same problem on support.

Also, making static libs unavailable even on i686 guards against a
future change accidentally pulling one in.

ĸen