[lfs-dev] More on static libs

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri Mar 13 12:23:57 PDT 2015

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 05:39:39PM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 11:17:06AM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> >
> > When I restored libc_nonshared.a, I did not get any failures.
> >
> >   -- Bruce
> My build is still going on (a resarted gcc stopped shortly after I
> went to bed), so it is a bit too soon for me to report my current
> status.  But I have reluctantly concluded that libc_nonshared.a is
> needed as a general static lib : zlib could not link libz.a without
> it, and then a configure test to see if the C compiler was working
> failed without it.
>
> Gcc (libatomic/) also needs the nonshare pthread lib, so I have
> reinstated that too for the rest of my build.

Completed (well, got to the end of chapter 6, which is as far as it
is going).  For my next run, I will have to take a deep look at acl
and libcap - still getting a static lib from each of them.  I will
also try adding --disable-static to binutils and gcc : seems quicker
to try it than to do research :)

Meanwhile, I accidentally overwrote my binutils test log.  Apart
from that, all the tests apart from in libtool were as expected.

For libtool, the same 3 new failures in tests 70, 117, 170.  My
script says that the last time I tried --disable-static in libtool
it broke the testsuite, so I'll reinstate static libltdl for that
build.

ĸen