[lfs-dev] More on static libs

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 14:00:34 PDT 2015

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 05:39:39PM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 11:17:06AM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>>>
>>> When I restored libc_nonshared.a, I did not get any failures.

>> My build is still going on (a resarted gcc stopped shortly after I
>> went to bed), so it is a bit too soon for me to report my current
>> status.  But I have reluctantly concluded that libc_nonshared.a is
>> needed as a general static lib : zlib could not link libz.a without
>> it, and then a configure test to see if the C compiler was working
>> failed without it.
>>
>> Gcc (libatomic/) also needs the nonshare pthread lib, so I have
>> reinstated that too for the rest of my build.
>>
> Completed (well, got to the end of chapter 6, which is as far as it
> is going).  For my next run, I will have to take a deep look at acl
> and libcap - still getting a static lib from each of them.  I will
> also try adding --disable-static to binutils and gcc : seems quicker
> to try it than to do research :)
>
> Meanwhile, I accidentally overwrote my binutils test log.  Apart
> from that, all the tests apart from in libtool were as expected.
>
> For libtool, the same 3 new failures in tests 70, 117, 170.  My
> script says that the last time I tried --disable-static in libtool
> it broke the testsuite, so I'll reinstate static libltdl for that
> build.

I have spent the afternoon figuring out the minimal set of static libraries
needed to get all the tests for binutils to pass.  What I have is:

libc.a           (7)
libc_nonshared.a (many)
libdl.a          (7)
libm.a           (2) (LTO)
libz.a           (7)

The numbers above indicate the number of tests that fail if only that library is
removed.  I did this in the chroot environment at Section 6.13.

   -- Bruce