[lfs-dev] Feedback on patch idea

brent s. bts at square-r00t.net
Sun Mar 15 10:38:52 PDT 2015

Hello all!

A lot of work has been put into LFS- I did my last install about 3 years
ago, and doing a refresher install now- and it's much easier to use now
and does a fantastic job explaining the ideas behind it.

However, I was wondering if anyone had any feedback. To "give back" to
the project, I'd like to submit some patches.

Nothing major, mostly just simplifying commands. For example:

5.5 GCC-4.9.2 (in 20150219 build of the SystemD LFS), the second code
block contains:

for file in \
  cp -uv $file{,.orig}
  sed -e 's@/lib\(64\)\?\(32\)\?/ld@/tools&@g' \
      -e 's@/usr@/tools at g' $file.orig > $file

The type of patch I'd submit would convert that to the cleaner (and thus
easier to read):

____________________
sed -i.orig -re 's@/lib(64)?(32)?/ld@/tools&@g ;\
                 s@/usr@/tools at g' $file
____________________

The -i.orig removes the need for the cp command (is the -u used for a
specific reason?) and the -r allows for a simpler regex statement via
extended regex (I am assuming we're using GNU sed, as the command listed
right after it uses sed -i which is only present in GNU sed to my
recollection- someone please correct me if that is inaccurate) and the
second -e can be replaced with a ; join.

Are these sorts of "improvements" welcome (being that style is a pretty
subjective thing)? If so, I can work on a patch but if not, I didn't
want to waste my nor another's time.

Additionally, if such changes were welcome, is it generally preferred to
have one large unified patch or a series of smaller patches?

- --
brent saner
http://www.square-r00t.net