[lfs-dev] Automake SBUs may be incorrect

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 11:04:36 PDT 2015

Douglas R. Reno wrote:
> My current host has a 6GB of RAM and a Core 2 Quad Q9650, and my brand new
> box has a Core i7 with 16GB of RAM, so I am hoping to see a difference.
> Building with a 10Minute SBU time is painful when the machine cannot be
> used while something like Qt4 or Firefox is being compiled. My plan is to
> do my BLFS work on the Laptop and use the VM to confirm build instructions,
> timing, etc.

How many cores does your i7 have?  Mine has 6 with hyperthreading so the kernel
thinks it is 12.  I usually max out builds with -j10 and that leaves two cores
for other monitoring tasks.  For builds where the book says it's less than about
0.5 SBU, I usually just use -j1.

With 16G of ram you don't have to worry about running out.  That's what I have
and would only start to stretch that with multiple simultaneously running qemu
sessions.

   -- Bruce