[lfs-dev] LFS and 32-bit systems

Richard rkm at usol.com
Sun Dec 11 12:55:53 PST 2016

On 12/11/2016 12:29 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Do any of you still have a 32-bit Intel system that you use to
> test/run LFS?
>
> I am thinking about rewriting the LFS preface section on architecture
> to say:
>
> The primary target architecture of LFS is the AMD/Intel x86_64
> (64-bit) CPU. In addition instructions are included that allow a build
> on older 32-bit Intel CPUs, but testing is not regularly done on that
> architecture.
> The instructions in this book are also known to work, with some
> modifications, with the Power PC and ARM CPUs.  ...
>
> I would then remove the second and third paragraphs and the small
> table between them.
>
> What do you think?
>
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/prologue/architecture.html
>

>   -- Bruce

I am not a member of the LFS development team but I do build
LFS on my two 32-bit Intel Pentium 4 computers, about at every
0.2 increment in version number these days. I don't have
a 64 bit computer yet. Due to the excessively long time it takes
me to build LFS, I don't know if I could be of much use in
testing. But I do rely on being able to build 32-bit LFS and
BLFS systems.

Richard