[lfs-dev] LFS and 32-bit systems

akhiezer lfs65 at cruziero.com
Sun Dec 11 14:11:08 PST 2016

> From: Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2016 11:29:42 -0600
> Subject: [lfs-dev] LFS and 32-bit systems
>
> Do any of you still have a 32-bit Intel system that you use to test/run LFS?

'Yes', nine different 32-bit machines; plus three 64-bit running 32-bit os.

*BUT*, these are for not-by-the-books builds: instead, they're for
builds/tests that derive in parts from the books.

> I am thinking about rewriting the LFS preface section on architecture to say:
>
> The primary target architecture of LFS is the AMD/Intel x86_64 (64-bit)
> CPU. In addition instructions are included that allow a build on older
> 32-bit Intel CPUs, but testing is not regularly done on that architecture.

s/regularly done/done regularly/

> The instructions in this book are also known to work, with some
> modifications, with the Power PC and ARM CPUs.  ...
>
> I would then remove the second and third paragraphs and the small table
> between them.

Both paras and table are ok to leave in, until as/when 32-bit is
dropped altogether.

It may be useful/'nice' to include stats from recent by-the-book 32-/64-
bit (properly-comparable) builds.

> What do you think?
>
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/prologue/architecture.html

akh