[lfs-dev] LFS and 32-bit systems

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 15:11:25 PST 2016

akhiezer wrote:
>> From: Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com>
>> Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2016 11:29:42 -0600
>> Subject: [lfs-dev] LFS and 32-bit systems
>>
>> Do any of you still have a 32-bit Intel system that you use to test/run LFS?
>

> 'Yes', nine different 32-bit machines; plus three 64-bit running 32-bit os.
>
> *BUT*, these are for not-by-the-books builds: instead, they're for
> builds/tests that derive in parts from the books.
>

>> I am thinking about rewriting the LFS preface section on architecture to say:
>>
>> The primary target architecture of LFS is the AMD/Intel x86_64 (64-bit)
>> CPU. In addition instructions are included that allow a build on older
>> 32-bit Intel CPUs, but testing is not regularly done on that architecture.
>

> s/regularly done/done regularly/

Minor, but OK.

>> The instructions in this book are also known to work, with some
>> modifications, with the Power PC and ARM CPUs.  ...
>>
>> I would then remove the second and third paragraphs and the small table
>> between them.
>>

> Both paras and table are ok to leave in, until as/when 32-bit is
> dropped altogether.

When I originally did that, the stats were from a Core2Duo as documented.
  Even that is a bit long-in-the-tooth.  I don't know how valid that
comparison is today.

> It may be useful/'nice' to include stats from recent by-the-book 32-/64-
> bit (properly-comparable) builds.

I could do that if I had the stats.  I don't have a reasonable way to
compare today.  I don't think giving numbers for a 3.3 GHz i7-5820K really
is a good platform for the stats.

My latest build took 64 minutes (vice Core2 at 190.6 minutes), but that
was at -j8 and omitted some, but not all tests in chapter 6.

   -- Bruce