[lfs-dev] LFS and 32-bit systems

Jeremy Henty onepoint at starurchin.org
Sun Dec 11 17:08:53 PST 2016

Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> Do any  of you  still have  a 32-bit  Intel system  that you  use to
> test/run LFS?

I am not sure whether this is directly relevant to your question - but
here is my story anyway.

I switched  to LFS  (on an AMD  k6/k7) in the  version 4.x  days, when
32-bit was  the default and going  64-bit was rather daring  since not
all applications (particularly multimedia ones) would reliably work on
64-bit.  Since  then I have simply  used each old LFS  version to host
the next one, so  I am still in 32-bit mode even  though the CPUs have
been 64-bit  for years  now.  (I  have remained  faithful to  AMD CPUs
because loyalty/masochism/whatever.)

    $ uname -a
    Linux omphalos 4.8.14-0 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Dec 10 20:51:14 GMT 2016 i686 GNU/Linux

    $ grep '^\(processor\|vendor_id\|model name\)' /proc/cpuinfo
    processor       : 0
    vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
    model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+
    processor       : 1
    vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
    model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+

So I am still running LFS on  32-bit (in some sense).  As for testing,
my two current installations are LFS-6.8  and LFS-7.3, but I keep both
up to  date with  the latest BLFS-devel  packages (except  for special
circumstances  - which  usually means  packages that  require a  newer
gcc).   If that  counts as  testing BLFS,  then, yes,  I test  BLFS on
32-bit.

I would like to go 64-bit sometime, but things work well enough at the
moment and there always seems to be something more urgent to do first.

Hope this is helpful, sorry if it is not.

Regards,

Jeremy Henty