[lfs-dev] LFS and 32-bit systems

thomas thomas at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Dec 12 05:56:05 PST 2016

Am 2016-12-11 18:29, schrieb Bruce Dubbs:
> Do any of you still have a 32-bit Intel system that you use to test/run
> LFS?
Yes,  Even my old 32bit systems are the slowest, those are the machines
which most of the time build and run LFS.

> I am thinking about rewriting the LFS preface section on architecture
> to say:
>
> The primary target architecture of LFS is the AMD/Intel x86_64
> (64-bit) CPU. In addition instructions are included that allow a build
> on older 32-bit Intel CPUs, but testing is not regularly done on that
> architecture.
> The instructions in this book are also known to work, with some
> modifications, with the Power PC and ARM CPUs.  ...
>
> I would then remove the second and third paragraphs and the small
> table between them.
>
> What do you think?
>
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/prologue/architecture.html

No problem about making x64 to default as long as pure 32bit systems are
still supported. Unfortunatly there are many Linux distros which do
nolonger support 32bit for whatever reason. Don't let LFS be one of
those. For router/firewall and such, small fanless Atom-machines do work
pretty well...

--
Thomas