[lfs-dev] LFS 7.10: 2.2. Host System Requirements: Perl version OK: module missing

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 18:02:22 PST 2016

Kevin Buckley wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> am currently building a 7.10 from a very basic Ubuntu build host that I had
> debootstrapped.
>
> For completeness, I did run the
>
> version-check.sh
>
> as I worked through the book and everything reported OK.
>

> A bit further into the build, though, I was told that I didn't have the
>
> Getopt::Std.pm
>
> module.
>
> Easy enough to fix and whilst it might be "overkill" for the book, which
> probably assumes that folk have a build host that's not as stripped down
> as a debootstrapped OS install, it struck me that might be worth adding
> in an explicit check for that one Perl module ?

The file, AFAICT is /usr/lib/perl5/*/Getopt/Std.pm.

Why did you strip that out?  This is essentially a library.  We don't
search for every library that we need and Getopt/Std.pm is part of a
standard perl install.

I am against adding this to version-check.sh because it is too much of an
edge case, but I am open to other opinions.

   -- Bruce