[lfs-dev] LFS 7.10: 2.2. Host System Requirements: Perl version OK: module missing

Kevin Buckley kevin.m.buckley at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 19:53:46 PST 2016

On 13 December 2016 at 15:02, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:

> The file, AFAICT is /usr/lib/perl5/*/Getopt/Std.pm.
>
> Why did you strip that out?

I would have said if I had stripped anything out, so as to try and give
the fullest context behind what I was doing, so you can take what I
reported as saying that I didn't strip anything out.

As I said, it, rather the "perl-modules" DEB's contents didn't get pulled
in by the deboostrap OS install.

FWIW, I created the deboostrap-ed OS and then used version-check.sh
to add in extra stuff, so to get to the point where I thought I had everything.

> This is essentially a library.  We don't search for every library that we
> need and Getopt/Std.pm is part of a standard perl install.

Within the OS I had deboostrap-ed from,  Perl is split across two debs

perl-base
perl-modules

and the module I was missing, as you might expect, was in the latter
DEB.

Interestingly, what I have since seen is that in a non-deboostrap-ed
install there's a third Perl DEB file, just called "perl" which lists the
other two as dependencies, so most people are going to get both,
which I think you have already alluded to, as regards OS installs.
via apt-get/yum/dnf

For completeness, it was the Chapter 5 build of Glibc that had the
something in it that makes use of Getopt/Std.pm.

As that comes very early on in the LFS build, once you have added
"perl-modules" into the host mix, you don't get to see (or rather, you
don't get told about them not being there) which other Perl modules
are explicity required.