[lfs-dev] Two changes to consider for 8.0

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Dec 30 16:31:14 PST 2016

These have been brought up before, but figured it's a good time to
revisit them with a new major version on the horizon.

One, we've bounced around gold a few times on this list, always with the
caveat that bfd remains the default linker, but gold is available for
packages that know about it and are wanting to use it (or where a user
want's to use it directly with something like 'LD=/usr/bin/ld.gold
./configure ...'). Nothing new here. Binutils with gold adds Bison to
Chapter 5 (this was done manually on first build because I completely
forgot about it, so build time/size provided is from my Chapter 6
build). FYI, we never removed chapter05/bison.xml.

New CH5 Bison:         0.3 SBU and 32 MB  to build with 3.9 MB installed
Binutils without gold: 1.3 SBU and 487 MB to build with 48 MB  installed
Binutils with gold:    2.6 SBU and 1.3 GB to build with 175 MB installed

Diffs are dwp (~50MB), ld.gold (~80MB), and multiple copies of gold.mo
(translations ~1MB). This on 2.27 as 2.28 will not be released until
after January 8th (branch is cut though).

Two, I'd like to review our included libs for GCC. I mentioned this
about a year ago and never followed up with build time/size. Really only
ISL/Graphite loop optimization. Honestly, these optimizations aren't
used in the wild very frequently, but again, same as binutils...I see us
shipping without it and feel that our GCC installation is slightly
incomplete (when everyone else _is_ shipping ISL). The older message
included notes about libssp and libmpx. libssp doesn't cause harm on x86
and x86_64, but is removed by RH and Debian distros due to issues with
arm IIRC. I don't see a need to change ATM, but brought it up as I had
before, and I guess maybe it is getting less testing with most distros
dropping it. libmpx is already included by default now (no change).

GCC without ISL:      33.6 SBU and 3.5 GB to build with 570 MB installed
GCC with ISL:         35.7 SBU and 3.6 GB to build with 595 MB installed

Diffs are libisl.{so,a} (and obviously linking).

With both of the changes above, +3.7 SBU. Also, I've dropped the ball on
the write-up about libtool archives...maybe this weekend while waiting
for stuff to compile.

Comments?

--DJ