[lfs-dev] [lfs-book] Apparent build race in e2fsprogs

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sat Jun 4 21:30:13 PDT 2016

On Sun, Jun 05, 2016 at 12:35:24AM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:

(moving this to -dev)
> On Sat, Jun 04, 2016 at 05:06:37PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> > Ken Moffat wrote:
> > > Building the sysv book dated 27th May on my haswell i7 using -j8,
> > > e2fsprogs failed:
> > >
> > > make[2]: *** No rule to make target '../lib/libss.so', needed by
> > > 'debugfs'.  Stop
> > >
> > > So, I gave it a retry with -j1 and that built fine.  Weird, it is
> > > usually my _slow_ machines which encounter odd races with parallel
> > > makes.
> >
> > Like all races, sometimes the winner changes.  I built e2fsprogs with -j10
> > with no problems.  Is the note in Section 4.5. About SBUs sufficient, or do
> > we need to say something separately?
> >
> >   -- Bruce
>
> I think we're fine with that note, I'm just getting worried about
> having to build everything with -j1 : I had a similar problem with
> git-2.8.3 (one of the things I build before booting).  I am starting
> to suppose that perhaps gcc-6.1.0 really is faster at compiling some
> things, or else one of the other programs now completes faster
> because of the better compiler.
>
> And sorry for sending this to -book, I meant to send it to -dev.

For git, it looks like a make bug.  Trying to build firefox blew up
near the beginning with
 ../config/nsinstall: cannot access system_wrappers: No such file or directory

Google found http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?48045 which was closed as
a duplicate of http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?47995 where trying to
build git in parallel was mentioned.  I've now applied the fix and
rebuilt git with -j8, firefox (46.0 for me - I'm reluctant to use .x
versions if the reason is unclear) is now building.  Whether firefox
will work is another matter.

I'll give e2fsprogs another try later - if that is sorted, it
implies the patch [1] will also be needed in chapter 5.

LOL - I worried about make-4.0 and built everything (ISTR one
package had a problem), but I assumed 4.2 was just a minor
improvement.

1. http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/make.git/patch/?id=4762480ae9cb8df4878286411f178d32db14eff0

ĸen (this is almost more fun than documenting fonts, but I'm not
sure I can spare the time :)
--
I had to walk fifteen miles to school, barefoot in the snow.  Uphill both ways.