[lfs-dev] [lfs-book] Apparent build race in e2fsprogs

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Jun 5 12:51:07 PDT 2016

On Sun, Jun 05, 2016 at 12:20:51PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 05, 2016 at 05:30:13AM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:
> > > On Sun, Jun 05, 2016 at 12:35:24AM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:
> > >

> > > I'll give e2fsprogs another try later - if that is sorted, it
> > > implies the patch [1] will also be needed in chapter 5.
> > >

> > For me, the patch does let e2fsprogs build with -j8 in chroot, so I
> > think it should be added to chapter 5 as well as chapter 6, but I'm
> > open to contra-arguments (and I have not checked to see if e2fsprogs
> > does have a double-colon rule).  Patch is now uploaded.
>
> Please create a ticket.
>
> I would hope that upstream would release 4.2.1 relatively soon.  Have you
> seen any discussion on that?

I didn't know where any such discussion would take place - help-make
is for user help, bug-make just picks up details from bugs.

There is also #48057 :the summary says it breaks parallel builds for
at least git, perl, dialog and xterm - but it is actually a breakage
in parallel install, so nothing to get worried about [ except for
the people who like to use parallel installs ].

Bug #47996 (unconnected) talks of pre-release announcements, but the
mailing list name has been removed.  Hmm, bug-make is the right
list, 4.1.90 (an rc) was announced on 23rd April.  That got fixes
through to 2nd May, then 4.2 was released on 22nd May.

So no, I have not seen any mention of 4.2.1 being released.

I've created #3941, at the moment I'm trying to work out the correct
fixes for firefox re youtube.

If/when I hack that, I can take this.  I've had ff working fine with
both 46.0 and 46.0.1 by adding debug stuff (but the libs were still
stripped!), but I have not yet worked out which part of those changes
was the fix.  At the moment it crashes when it starts to play html5 -
46.0 only crashed if I paused).

ĸen
--
I had to walk fifteen miles to school, barefoot in the snow.  Uphill both ways.