[lfs-dev] gcc pass 1: perl binaries are mismatched

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Tue Jun 14 18:15:15 PDT 2016

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 07:52:16PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Roger Koehler wrote:
> > I can't seem to be able to get passed gcc running jhalfs SVN. The
> > first time, it was because of optimization (make -j3), but then after
> > running for 41 minutes, I got this error:
> >
> > XSParagraph.c: loadable library and perl binaries are mismatched (got
> > handshake key 0xd700000, needed 0xd600000)
> >
> > Does anyone on this list know how to rectify this?
>
> That looks like a host problem to me.  What host are you running?  If LFS,
> just delete perl and it's libraries and rebuild in the host using the
> Chapter 6 Perl instructions.

Googling for the message (just the loadable ... mismatched) found
some perl stuff for later 5.21 on 32-bit x86, when trying to build
5.22.  That seems unlikely (people still use 32-bit ? : yes, I'm
joking, but 5.21 seems unlikely).  There is also an Arch forum post
from the beginning of this month.  One comment said it can be called
when an external program, such as texinfo, calls an external library
that is built against a different perl version.  In that case, perl
had been upgraded but one of the perl dependencies of the particular
package giving the error had been missed.

So yes, looks like a host problem.  If you upgrade perl for some
reason, you need to reinstall all the subsequent packages which
installed perl modules.  If a shared lib is involved, hopefully that
came from something which also installed a perl module - if not,
tracking it down may be "difficult".

That's one of the reasons I don't update perl versions on existing
systems if I can help it (i.e. I patch the old version or update
just the appropriate module if there is a vulnerability I'm aware
of).

ĸen
--
I had to walk fifteen miles to school, barefoot in the snow.  Uphill both ways.