[lfs-dev] Merged trunk and systemd sources

Kevin Buckley kevin.m.buckley at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 18:56:09 PDT 2016

On 25 May 2016 at 10:17, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have created a new branch in svn for merged LFS trunk and systemd sources.
> What I found was a great similarity in the the books.  For instance,
> Chapters 2, 4, and 5 in both books are identical.  On the other hand,
> Chapter 7 is almost completely different.

There was a thread I started on 15/10/2015 about the package ordering,
entitled

LFS-7.8: An RFC on package ordering

and into which you posted, which alluded to the great similarities thus

> First up, I wanted to say, just in case I am the only person
> ever to have done this, just how amazingly close to each other
> these two strands of LFS are, when viewed in this way.
>
> It really does say a lot about the work that has gone into
> LFS over the years in making it as pared down as possible.
> (Ok, there a few mismatches where the SBUs are out by a 0.01
>  and/or where the installed size is out by 1, but that's
>  not really the point)

Now I appreciate I mostly lurk on here* but I just wanted to say that
it is great news
to hear that the two strands are being combined, as this will
hopefully help avoid
occurences similar to the issue that came up twice, regarding the attr
man pages,
where the correct info got put into one strand but not the other, via:

LFS 7.7: Attr-2.4.47: Man pages clash   19/04/2105

which was then reprised in

Man pages for attr conflict with those of man-pages  30/11/2015

Kevin

* I do have some notes about building both an SysV init and systemd
system but I got waylaid by the GMP thing and never followed it through.

Seem to recall that it WAS possible to more closely match the ordering
across the strands than they were at the time.

Given the combined book branch, I suppose I should give it another go.