[lfs-dev] alpha-level iso for current lfs-dev version

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 17:40:03 PDT 2016

Richard Melville wrote:
> On 14 June 2016 at 07:37, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've created an iso that may be useful as a proof-of-concept.
>>
>> The file is
>>
>> http://anduin.linuxfromscratch.org/~bdubbs/files/lfs-usb.iso.xz
>>
>> It is 866M and needs to be decompressed before using.  The expanded size is
>> 4.2 GB (not GiB).
>>
>> It is not much.  It is only a base LFS system targeting x86_64.  It does
>> have the sources included as well as /tools and /jhalfs.
>>
>> After decompression, use 'dd of=/dev/<usb-drive> if=lfs-usb.iso BS=1MB'
>>
>> The drive should be be bootable.  It has a GPT partition table with two
>> partitions.  The first is 1 MiB and is for Grub.  The second is the system.
>> There is no swap partition.
>>
>> The only user is root and the password is lfs.
>>
>> There are no guarantees this will work at all, but if you have the time and
>> inclination, it will be interesting to see if others can get this to work.
>>
>> Note that this is NOT suitable for a DVD.
>>
>> If you have the time and inclination, I'd like to see if others can get this
>> to work.
>
> Bruce, I've given it a spin but no go.  When I attempt to boot from it
> I get a kernel panic.  When I boot from the host and check the device
> with gdisk It returns:-
>
> GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.8
>
> Warning! Disk size is smaller than the main header indicates! Loading
> secondary header from the last sector of the disk! You should use 'v' to
> verify disk integrity, and perhaps options on the experts' menu to repair
> the disk.
> Caution: invalid backup GPT header, but valid main header; regenerating
> backup header from main header.
>
> Warning! One or more CRCs don't match. You should repair the disk!
>
> Partition table scan:
>    MBR: protective
>    BSD: not present
>    APM: not present
>    GPT: damaged

> Caution: Found protective or hybrid MBR and corrupt GPT. Using GPT, but disk
> verification and recovery are STRONGLY recommended.
>
> I've tried all the gdisk suggestions but to no avail.  It's an older
> version of gptdisk than the current BLFS version; I don't know if that
> matters.  The partition table looks OK:-
>
> Disk /dev/sdc: 15240576 sectors, 7.3 GiB
> Logical sector size: 512 bytes
> Disk identifier (GUID): 1A6C8E1A-791C-4407-A0CD-CDEFC9989092
> Partition table holds up to 128 entries
> First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 15265750
> Partitions will be aligned on 2048-sector boundaries
> Total free space is 6875061 sectors (3.3 GiB)
>
> Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
>     1            2048            4095   1024.0 KiB  EF02  BIOS boot partition
>     2            4096         8392703   4.0 GiB     8300  lfs-usb
>
> Any ideas?  The host is an old Toshiba Satellite, running 64bit Linux
> Mint.  It seemed sensible to try it on something that wasn't related
> [...]

Yes, I need to work on it.   The original device was 8G, but I don't want
an 8G image.  That's why the backup GPT header was invalid.

The kernel panic could be caused by a couple of reasons.  I built the
system on a skylake i7 so earlier chips might not recognize some
instructions.  More likely is that I didn't build in a lot of drivers so
the panic was probably because it couldn't initialize some HW properly.

I'll try to work on it when I get more time.  Perhaps using an MSDOS
partition table would eliminate the first problem.

Thanks for testing.

   -- Bruce