[lfs-dev] 7.10 test issues in jhalfs

Pierre Labastie pierre.labastie at neuf.fr
Tue Sep 6 13:36:41 PDT 2016

On 06/09/2016 20:26, Douglas R. Reno wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 12:14 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
> <mailto:bruce.dubbs at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Last night I did a jhalfs run of LFS to get timing data fo 7.10 (and to
>     check gcc failures (they were OK)).
>
>     What I got was a hang in coreutils.  The specific test was
>     tests/misc/seq-precision.sh where it does:
>
>     seq 999999 inf | head -n2 > out || fail=1
>     seq 1 .1 inf | head -n2 > out || fail=1
>     seq inf inf | head -n2 | uniq > out || fail=1
>
>     If you run these from the command line, there is no problem.  Something
>     happens when running jhalfs that seems to be intercepting the sigpipe
>     signal when head exits and seg runs forever making the script hang.
>
>     Running the build/test from the command line seems OK.
>
>     When running jhalfs, I'd suggest editing
>     lfs-commands/chapter06/116-coreutils and adding
>
>     rm tests/misc/seq-precision.sh
>
>     I've not tested this.  What I did was a 'ps -ef |grep nobody' and saw the
>     seq command running.  I killed that and then did it twice more for the
>     other two calls and then the test completed.
>

> That sounds incredibly similar to the problems I encountered last time that
> you helped me with...

Since I have already answered on 'alfs-discuss', I'll make it short here: We
intercept some signals in jhalfs, and when running the Makefile automatically,
those signals get redirected during the whole build, which may explain why the
seq-precision.sh test hangs (it relies on SIG_PIPE). Workaround:
Configure jhalfs without ticking "Run the Makefile"
Then type: "make -C /mnt/lfs/jhalfs" (change /mnt/lfs to whatever dir you use).

>     ---
>
>     In a second minor issue, when running jhalfs the tar extraction of
>     packages writes a sequence like:
>
>      Building target 133-man-db
>     tar: write error
>
>     The actual extraction seems to be OK.  It does not happen on every file
>     but does for most.
>
>     Upon reflection it may be due to my disk setup.  My drive is an SSD and I
>     have noatime as a part of the mount options.  That may be the reason for
>     the message.  However I don't get that message from the command line when
>     working from the SSD drive.
>
>       -- Bruce
>

> This was the other set of errors that I came across. You thought it was a
> partition table problem, which, in fact, is/was another issue. The hard drive
> I use in my PC is a 512e drive, which was produced by Dell during the
> transition time of MBR->UEFI. It is supposed to use 4096-byte sectors, instead
> of the normal ones. But, I doubt that is the problem in this case.

Well, all I can say is that I do not see that...

Pierre