[lfs-dev] gold

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri Feb 3 19:51:29 PST 2017

I'm increasingly starting to think that I'm going to stop building
the gold linker (it will save me a little time in /tools by not
building bison, and rather more time in the binutils tests in
chroot).

This annoyance is prompted because qt-5.8.0 (or perhaps qtwebengine)
provokes a failure in gold.

>From previous posts, ISTR that DJ was unconvinced that gold actually
improved link times in his tests - I've been hoping to retry a few
things for myself, but so far I haven't had time and for the moment
there are too many other problems to look at.

This is really dispiriting - it was supposed to be a faster way of
linking, but the reality doesn't seem to match that (too much breaks
from time to time).

ĸen
for them.'     -- Small Gods