[lfs-dev] gold

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Feb 3 22:07:55 PST 2017

On February 3, 2017 9:51:29 PM CST, Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>I'm increasingly starting to think that I'm going to stop building
>the gold linker (it will save me a little time in /tools by not
>building bison, and rather more time in the binutils tests in
>chroot).
>
>This annoyance is prompted because qt-5.8.0 (or perhaps qtwebengine)
>provokes a failure in gold.
>
>From previous posts, ISTR that DJ was unconvinced that gold actually
>improved link times in his tests - I've been hoping to retry a few
>things for myself, but so far I haven't had time and for the moment
>there are too many other problems to look at.
>
>This is really dispiriting - it was supposed to be a faster way of
>linking, but the reality doesn't seem to match that (too much breaks
>from time to time).

Interesting, I had just suggested to Bruce (the other day on IRC) that we go ahead and do it. I've seen absolutely no failures with bfd as the default linker with both big DEs installed. I haven't gotten around to newer QT yet. I was hoping we'd see a 2.28 release well before now. Does QT pick up gold by default?

--DJ