[lfs-dev] LFS-8.0-rc1 is released

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 10:07:40 PST 2017

The Linux From Scratch community announces the release of LFS Version
8.0-rc1. It is a preliminary release of LFS-8.0. Major changes include
toolchain updates to glibc-2.25 and and gcc-6.3.0. In total, 28 packages
were updated since the last release. Changes to the text have also been
made throughout the book. The Linux kernel has also been updated to
version 4.9.9.

This is a new major version of LFS. The change to 8.0 is due to the
removal of the symbolic link from /lib to /lib64 and the complete removal
of /usr/lib64. An additional feature is that the gold linker
(/usr/bin/ld.gold) is now available although it is not the default linker.

We encourage all users to read through this release of the book and test
the instructions so that we can make the final release as good as possible.

You can read the book online [0], or download [1] to read locally.

In coordination with this release, a new version of LFS using the systemd
package is also being released. This package implements the newer systemd
style of system initialization and control and is consistent with LFS in
most packages.

You can read the systemd version of the book online [2], or download [3]
to read locally.

   -- Bruce

[0] http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/8.0-rc1/
[1] http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/downloads/8.0-rc1/