[lfs-dev] gettext test stall, was Re: glibc-2.25 compile error

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Feb 23 21:14:16 PST 2017

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 05:28:39PM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:

> 1. I've built current svn (sysv) with 4.9.11 headers on two
> machines. One was running 4.10-rc7 for the build, and that was all
> fine. The other was running 4.10.0, and there the gettext tests
> stalled at the start using all cores and I ended up not running
> those tests.

Finally had time to look at this, and discovered the same problem on
kernel 4.9.0 on the affected machine (AMD A10 Kaveri).  It's a
gnulib problem, there was a fix in December.  Gettext has _two_
copies of the affected file, not yet sure if both need to be fixed
or whether only one is implicated.  With both fixed, the tests run
ok.

So now I need to see if both files need to be fixed, and once I've
got something which works for me run it a few more times (there have
been sporadic hangs in that test over the years!), and then test
non-affected machines to make sure they aren't worsened.

My real reason for posting now is that I eventually remembered I'd
turned off the non-toolchain tests to get my script to continue.
So, there is a *possibility* that aomething else using gnulib might
also have a similar problem.  At the moment I don't have any idea
why that one machine is affected.  Hopefully I'll have a repeatably
working patch for gettext in a day or so, in case anybody sees a
similar problem elsewhere - the hang is at

make  check-TESTS
make[4]: Entering directory '/scratch/ken/gettext-0.19.8.1/gettext-runtime/tests'
make[5]: Entering directory '/scratch/ken/gettext-0.19.8.1/gettext-runtime/tests'

ĸen
for them.'     -- Small Gods