[lfs-dev] gettext test stall, was Re: glibc-2.25 compile error

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri Feb 24 19:47:57 PST 2017

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 05:14:16AM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 05:28:39PM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
> >
> > 1. I've built current svn (sysv) with 4.9.11 headers on two
> > machines. One was running 4.10-rc7 for the build, and that was all
> > fine. The other was running 4.10.0, and there the gettext tests
> > stalled at the start using all cores and I ended up not running
> > those tests.

Not sure if this will get into 8.0, but I've now completed the build
on the machine which shows the problem.  So, on the assumption it
doesn't, I'm following up here.  Three things are worth noting:

1. coreutils and findutils are also affected.

2. when I built LFS in January on that machine, the same versions of
these packages ran through their testsuites without any problem, so
I guess other people may experience this.

3.when I tested a few hours ago on the previously completed 8.0
system, only one of the two test-lock tests in gettext needed to be
suppressed.  But in chroot I had to suppress both of them.

And beyond what I wrote last night, both coreutils and findutils
also run test-lock from gnulib, and both are equally affected.

I'm using the following seds to remove only test-lock :

gettext:
sed -i '/^TESTS =/d' gettext-runtime/tests/Makefile.in
sed -i 's/test-lock..EXEEXT.//'
gettext-tools/gnulib-tests/Makefile.in

coreutils:
sed -i '/test.lock/s/^/#/' gnulib-tests/gnulib.mk
(thanks to Bruce for that one)

findutils:
sed -i 's/test-lock..EXEEXT.//' tests/Makefile.in

I'm not proud of the '..EXEEXT.' seds - they trash the related log
dependency, but fortunately it never gets used. Similarly the
gettext-runtime sed looks dramatic, but it jsut turns 1 test into 0
tests.

I created ticket #4055 to try to make this manageable (i.e. at some
point these packages will have updated gnulib and the seds will not
be needed - but how will we know?) but the details there might be
inadequate re the second test in gettext.

ĸen
for them.'     -- Small Gods