[lfs-dev] Oddities while testing.

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sat Jun 3 14:17:22 PDT 2017

On Sat, Jun 03, 2017 at 04:20:54PM -0400, Alain Toussaint wrote:
> Sorry about the top post, I'm using my phone until I'm done building LFS
> and some of BLFS for my usb keys.
>
> The issue I have with chapter 5 glibc is that glibc won't build without
> --disable-werror. The gcc used is 7.1.0 from about a month ago (I build LFS
> svn on a monthly basis if not more often for research purposes).
>
> As for the tmpfs, I use them to preserve the life of my ssd, not really for
> speed reason. It's an used laptop and I suspect I'll need a replacement
> drive within a year.
>
> Tomorrow, I'll report back with the full build status.
>
> Best regards and thanks for the project.
>
> Alain

First, it is really good to know of people who build svn regularly.
I used to do that, but nowadays I have too much else to build and to
use.  When I made my initial post I had built 2017-05-13 on an intel
without problems, so the only LFS change was for perl.  That's why I
was so surprised by the vim issue.  And glibc built without
problems, but perhaps that is because I pass CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS of
"-O2".

I don't build systemd, but I _had_ been using gold for most of my
builds in the last year (newer, shinier, claimed to be faster).
Until early last month when I did a few tests (probably reported on
blfs-dev) and concluded that for a fresh build from source it did
nothing.  Actually, the firefox results might be suspect - I had a
build failure after that (/tmp was full) and noticed it had created
a script to use ld.gold.  For me, gold is not worth the hassle
(intermittent breakage) and I no longer explicitly use it.

ĸen
--
I live in a city. I know sparrows from starlings.  After that
everything is a duck as far as I'm concerned.  -- Monstrous Regiment