[lfs-dev] Section 5.17: Bison-3.0.4 make check

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 14:18:43 PDT 2017

Jonathan Cottrill wrote:
> The book mentions in section 5.17 (8.0 and latest nightly) that you can
> run "make check" for Bison; however, this is sure to fail with an
> unpleasant make error at this stage *unless* you have Flex installed on
> your host system (and it's not listed in section 2.2, "Host System
> Requirements").
>
> I see in section 6.29 (in 8.0; 6.31 in latest nightly) there's an
> explanation for this, a circular dependency between Flex and Bison.
>
> Since Flex isn't a host requirement, isn't built in Chapter 5, and has
> this unfortunate circular dependency, would it work to note in 5.17 that
> "make check" will fail and should simply be skipped?

"Experience has shown that there is little to be gained from running the
test suites in Chapter 5. There can be no escaping the fact that the host
system always exerts some influence on the tests in that chapter, often
causing inexplicable failures. Because the tools built in Chapter 5 are
temporary and eventually discarded, we do not recommend running the test
suites in Chapter 5 for the average reader. The instructions for running
those test suites are provided for the benefit of testers and developers,
but they are strictly optional. "

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter04/abouttestsuites.html

   -- Bruce