[lfs-dev] Section 5.17: Bison-3.0.4 make check

Jonathan Cottrill linuxfromscratch at jonathancottrill.net
Wed Jun 14 14:56:14 PDT 2017

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>Jonathan Cottrill wrote:
>> The book mentions in section 5.17 (8.0 and latest nightly) that you
can
>> run "make check" for Bison; however, this is sure to fail with an
>> unpleasant make error at this stage *unless* you have Flex
installed on
>> your host system (and it's not listed in section 2.2, "Host System
>> Requirements").
>>
>> I see in section 6.29 (in 8.0; 6.31 in latest nightly) there's an
>> explanation for this, a circular dependency between Flex and Bison.
>>
>> Since Flex isn't a host requirement, isn't built in Chapter 5, and
has
>> this unfortunate circular dependency, would it work to note in 5.17
that
>> "make check" will fail and should simply be skipped?
>

>"Experience has shown that there is little to be gained from running
the
>test suites in Chapter 5. There can be no escaping the fact that the
host
>system always exerts some influence on the tests in that chapter,
often
>causing inexplicable failures. Because the tools built in Chapter 5
are
>temporary and eventually discarded, we do not recommend running the
test
>suites in Chapter 5 for the average reader. The instructions for
running
>those test suites are provided for the benefit of testers and
developers,
>but they are strictly optional. "
>
>http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter04/abouttestsuites.html

OK, that's certainly fair. :-)

However, most other packages in Chapter 5 have a little blurb like
this: "Compilation is now complete. As discussed earlier, running the
test suite is not mandatory..." Bison is an outlier (along with
DejaGNU), in that it just says: "To test the results, issue:"

There are a few other packages (expect, ncurses, perl, etc.) in
Chapter 5 that mention specific problems with the test suites, as
well. I think it would be helpful to have a comment like that for
Bison.