[lfs-dev] New packages in LFS

Thomas Trepl thomas at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Oct 6 08:07:05 PDT 2017

Am Samstag, den 23.09.2017, 17:32 -0500 schrieb Bruce Dubbs:
> I have added four new packages to LFS: libffi, python3, ninja, and
> meson.
>   Please take a look and let me know of any issues/suggestions/typos
> etc.
>
> For those who do not render the book themselves, it will be rendered
> overnight on the main web site.
>
> I have not changed systemd.  I ask either DJ or renodr to make
> changes and
> test the systemd build using meson/ninja.  There are other packages
> in
> BLFS that can use meson and I suggest we move to that build mechanism
> as
> it seems to be a lot faster and cleaner than autotools based builds.
>
> We will be able to remove libffi from BLFS and meson will not be
> needed
> there, but python and ninja will still need to remain for additional
> optional dependencies.
>
>    -- Bruce

Hi,

looks like this packages are only required for systemd. My suggestion
would be to add this packages only in the systemd-branch in order to
not "pollute" the sysv-branch; just the same way as systemd itself does
only appear in the systemd branch.

Since there are many dependencies in Python (bluez, openssl, etc.) the
Python installation here in LFS is only temporary to get the build
tools meson and ninja running. Since those tools are required more or
less only for gnome stuff, they need to be built anyhow, but only if
systemd/gnome stuff is required. If they are not built in LFS, it does
not cost anything to build them when needed later in BLFS.

Apropos openssl - there are options in the kernel config which adds a
dependency to openssl to the kernel. A full featured kernel (like the
one you get when using Archlinux's config) does not build without
having openssl installed. With this said, it looks to me more important
to have openssl in the basic tool chain than the ones above (except you
do a systemd build).

What do you think?

--
Thomas