[lfs-dev] New packages in LFS

Alain Toussaint atoussaint1976 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 19:04:44 PDT 2017

> A willingness to work with other editors

I don't know how I fared since registering with the LFS mailing list
but it's a goal that I work on every time I post. I may fail but
that's never out of unwillingness.

> and to make changes to the books
> using docbook and svn.

These I need to learn (docbook mostly, svn, I use often) but they'll
be learned in short order.

>  Large or invasive changes need to be discussed
> before they are committed.  Generally we need to limit new packages just
> because of the maintenance burden.

Understood.

> See http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/edguide/ for mechanics.
>
> Dated but still valid.

Reading it at the moment but will reread it over this weekend (I have
30 hours per week of school and wake up each morning at 5:00am on
weekdays).

> Where we need help is keeping up with upstream changes in BLFS.  LFS is
> generally fairly easy to maintain, but discussions are reasonably common.

I was indeed thinking about current software in BLFS so I do have a
big interest in two pieces of software, namely maxima and R because of
later plans to study in mathematics & statistics but otherwise,
current BLFS software choices are fine.

Alain

p.s. For reference, you can examine my work in
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2010.00241/full for
which, my employer told me, with the full support of the doctoral
student I was working with; they would not have published this work,
had I haven't been involved with this project.