[lfs-dev] New packages in LFS

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri Oct 6 19:40:29 PDT 2017

On Fri, Oct 06, 2017 at 10:04:44PM -0400, Alain Toussaint wrote:
> > A willingness to work with other editors
>
> I don't know how I fared since registering with the LFS mailing list
> but it's a goal that I work on every time I post. I may fail but
> that's never out of unwillingness.

Technically, this ought to be on blfs-dev, but we tend to be loose
about the list distinction - getting people to post, and hopefully
to contribute, is usually more important.  In case it's not obvious,
I'm trying to say that you will need to be subscribed to blfs-dev.

Editors also need to be subscribed to blfs-book, and ideally to
blfs-support.

> > and to make changes to the books
> > using docbook and svn.
>
> These I need to learn (docbook mostly, svn, I use often) but they'll
> be learned in short order.

Docbook is key.  The instructions in BLFS should just work (I build
*all* of that chapter), but getting changes to render is sometimes
hard - getting new pages to render is often harder (the indexing:
please say hello to longindex.html if you don't currently use it).

I now sometimes use 'svn diff | less' to check what I have changed
(after rendering it - I tend to change my mind about text once I can
read the rendered version, but maybe that's only me).

In the past, sometimes we have encouraged people to produce patches
before penalising them with editorship.  But Bruce is the guv'nor.

Please contact me privately if you want any assistance (but my hours
are irregular, and I often don't read my private mails, or sometimes
the list, until I'm either starting up or winding down).

Finally, hope you will enjoy it.

ĸen
--
Truth, in front of her huge walk-in wardrobe, selected black leather
boots with stiletto heels for such a barefaced truth.