[lfs-dev] faad and faac

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 19:59:00 PDT 2017

I am having a problem updating the subject packages,

faac is now version 1.29.7.8 and 1.29.8 has been released.
faad is now version 2.8.5 and 2.8.6 has been released.

Both build without issue.

The testing procedure uses both packages.

For faac, from the build directory:

./frontend/faac -o Front_Left.mp4 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Left.wav
faad Front_Left.mp4
aplay Front_Left.wav

for faad, from that package's build directory:

./frontend/faad -o sample.wav ../sample.aac
aplay sample.wav

The testing in the book for faad works fine. The aplay command in faac
appears to work, but does not output any audio.  The existing package
versions work fine for both packages.

I tried cvlc to play Front_Left.mp4, and it plays fine.  Actually cvlc
plays Front_Left.wav but truncates the audio to "Front" only. aplay gives
no audio at all.

These are very easy packages to build as they have no dependencies (other
than alsa-utils or vlc or some other audio package for testing).  I'd
appreciate it if someone can test these packages to see if the the results
are the same.

   -- Bruce