[lfs-dev] kernel orc unwinder

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Oct 18 18:53:29 PDT 2017

One of the recent items in the kernel (new for 4.14) is the ORC
stack unwinder, intended to get more accurate traces when a kernel
dumps - so that people can work out what went wrong.

It won't be the default for some time, but I'm trying it on my
4.14-rc kernel builds.  And now I've got to the end of LFS and
failed to build the kernel, because this needs libelf :

Makefile:937: *** "Cannot generate ORC metadata for CONFIG_ORC_UNWINDER=y, please install libelf-dev, libelf-devel or elfutils-libelf-devel".  Stop.

For as long as this is not the default, it will be like a lot of
other things and only in BLFS.  But if it does become part of the
default x86 config we will have to move it into LFS.

ĸen
--
Truth, in front of her huge walk-in wardrobe, selected black leather
boots with stiletto heels for such a barefaced truth.