[lfs-dev] Dangling symlinks left after LFS build completion

Wayne Blaszczyk wblaszcz at bigpond.net.au
Sat Oct 28 17:07:43 PDT 2017

On Sat, 2017-10-28 at 11:52 +0200, NicP wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just finished LFS 8.1 systemd stable version. I noticed 4 dangling
> symlinks pointing to the /tools directory :
> /usr/lib/{libuuid.a,libmount.a,libblkid.a,liblzma.a} -> /tools/lib/
>
> These links should also be removed in section 6.72 «Cleaning up» of the
> book.
>
> This may break some builds in BLFS. For instance Serf-1.3.9 does not
> build if the broken link libblkid.a is present (there was a thread in
> blfs-dev about that in september).
>
> Best regards.
> --
> NicP

I can confirm that serf did not build for me either without the static libraries.
I have a comment in my build script (16th Sept) stating that serf will not
build without static libs from util-linux. This was my Gnome 3.26.0 build.
Prior to this point, serf didn't need those static libs.
As to the thread in blfs-dev, Christoph mentioned that he rebuild util-linux
with --disable-static, and then rebuilt serf-1.3.9 with no complaints.
A rebuild of util-linux would not have removed the previously build static
libs?

On a similar note, I also build static libs for popt as efivar (not in BLFS book)
requires these.

So the question is, was the serf build issue due to the dangling symlinks bits
or does it really require the static libs?

Regards,
Wayne.