[lfs-dev] Dangling symlinks left after LFS build completion

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 17:32:38 PDT 2017

Wayne Blaszczyk wrote:
> On Sat, 2017-10-28 at 11:52 +0200, NicP wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just finished LFS 8.1 systemd stable version. I noticed 4 dangling
>> symlinks pointing to the /tools directory :
>> /usr/lib/{libuuid.a,libmount.a,libblkid.a,liblzma.a} -> /tools/lib/
>>
>> These links should also be removed in section 6.72 «Cleaning up» of the
>> book.
>>
>> This may break some builds in BLFS. For instance Serf-1.3.9 does not
>> build if the broken link libblkid.a is present (there was a thread in
>> blfs-dev about that in september).
>>
>> Best regards.
>> --
>> NicP
>
> I can confirm that serf did not build for me either without the static libraries.
> I have a comment in my build script (16th Sept) stating that serf will not
> build without static libs from util-linux. This was my Gnome 3.26.0 build.
> Prior to this point, serf didn't need those static libs.
> As to the thread in blfs-dev, Christoph mentioned that he rebuild util-linux
> with --disable-static, and then rebuilt serf-1.3.9 with no complaints.
> A rebuild of util-linux would not have removed the previously build static
> libs?
>
> On a similar note, I also build static libs for popt as efivar (not in BLFS book)
> requires these.
>
> So the question is, was the serf build issue due to the dangling symlinks bits
> or does it really require the static libs?

I built serf-1.3.9 a week ago without complaint.  I do not have the .a
files referenced above.

They should never have been installed in /usr/lib.   How did they get
there?  We pass --disable-static in the build instructions for util-linux,
e2fsprogs, and xz, which are th eonly places that referece those libraries.

   -- Bruce