[lfs-dev] chapter 6 coreutils-8.28

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Tue Oct 31 13:04:05 PDT 2017

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 01:56:47PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Christoph Feikes wrote:
> > and there is a file expand.c.orig after applying the patch:
> >
> > find . -iname "*.rej" -o -iname "*.orig"
> > ./src/sort.c.orig
> > ./src/expand.c.orig
> > ./src/join.c.orig
> > ./src/expand-common.c.orig
> > ./src/pr.c.orig
> > ./tests/misc/expand.pl.orig
> > ./tests/local.mk.orig
> > ./bootstrap.conf.orig
> > ./configure.ac.orig
> >
> > md5sum of the patch is eaxctly as given in the current version of
> > Development LFS on the web (SVN-20171028), but it doesn't apply clean,
> > as it seems.
> >
> > Sorry, I can't get replying and quoting the meassage I'm replying to
> > working in this ubuntu / firefox / thunderbird - combo I'm trying to use.
>
> We don't normally rediff patches if the apply OK.  If you follow the book,
> you do not get those .orig files.  For that you need the -b option to patch.
> I do not know what else you may have done different form the book.  Our
> automated tests do not show your problem.
>
>   -- Bruce
Bruce,

I think you are mistaken about .orig files.  On an 8.1 system, using
patch-2.7.5, I've just untarred coreutils-8.28 and applied the
patch. I get a list of hte same 9 .orig files (in a different
order).

I believe that .orig files are created by most patches - certainly
things with an offset or fuzz seem to create them.

ĸen
--
Truth, in front of her huge walk-in wardrobe, selected black leather
boots with stiletto heels for such a barefaced truth.