[lfs-dev] 6.6 Creating essential files

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 12:17:42 PST 2018

Paul Rogers wrote:
> Two questions, if I may:
>
> 1) Group "nogroup" is created here.  Conventionally, GIDs are named the same as their corresponding UIDs.  I discovered vsftpd really wants "nobody".  What's the rationale here?

Where is that documented?  vsftpd wants a USER nopriv_user:

This is the name of the user that is used by vsftpd when it wants to be
totally unprivileged. Note that this should be a dedicated user, rather
than nobody. The user nobody tends to be used for rather a lot of
important things on most machines.

Default: nobody

I see no mention of a specific group in the vsftpd source.  We do say to
use nopriv_user=vsftpd in the configuration.

> 2) Why is the messagebus user/group created here?  The dbus package isn't installed until BLFS, and a grep of my existing build scripts doesn't show it used as a parameter.  What's its use in the very Spartan base LFS system?

To be consistent with the systemd book.

   -- Bruce