[lfs-dev] Future of i686 builds (in gcc, et al.)

William Harrington kb0iic at berzerkula.org
Wed Mar 7 23:13:48 PST 2018

On Wed, 07 Mar 2018 11:57:20 -0800
Paul Rogers <paulgrogers at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> The i686 version runs fine..

What does that means? Nothing explodes?

>I wanted to check that it runs as advertized in a "real" i686 with no extra instructions on the side.

What does that mean?

It's well known that people use faster hardware to build for machines that compile slower, yet can run the same applications just as fast as the machines that complied it. Frankly, I'd suggest you retire your P3 coppermine and move to tualatin. That's where the gold is in P3 land. Never had issues when I was using dual P3 tualatins. Don't use the hardware anymore. If you want it, I'll send it to you. I have multiple motherboards and they have onboard SCSI which was nice at the time, still is nice.

Sincerely,

Berzerkula <kb0iic at berzerkula.org>