[lfs-dev] Configuring vim and position of defaults.vim

dueffert at uwe-dueffert.de dueffert at uwe-dueffert.de
Mon Mar 12 16:27:03 PDT 2018

Hi,

On Mon, 12 Mar 2018, Ken Moffat wrote:

> I don't claim to understand the details, but when I searched a few
> hours ago there were various posts about changed behaviour (not
> particularly recent).
I do not claim to understand the details either, but at least I can
confirm such behavior change. And maybe I can provide a test case. I was
happy with my vim configuration on several machines (Debian, Ubuntu,
LFS) for years, but some update a couple of months ago started to drive me
nuts every now and then - mouse support was broken for me: Marking stuff
on a console in putty (Windows ssh client) used to end up in the
clipboard automatically, and it still does - unless using vim. I even
switched to using nano temporarily just to make that work again.

Reason was a "mouse=a" in some default pulled in "recently". Documentation
suggests this is something everybody would want to make a mouse work, but
I certainly do not, because it makes vim "capture" the mouse internally
which breaks my usage of it.

Anyway, the problem is not that "mouse=a" was there, but how to disable it
again. There is "mouse=" in the book which did not seem to help.
"mouse-=a" suggested somewhere did not either. I ended up commenting out
every occurence of that setting in any vim file on the respective system
to get rid of that. This is not an *LFS issue but a vim configuration
issue on multiple distributions.

I'd prefer to understand the correct (current) order of (overriding) vim
configuration, though...

Uwe